petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

We took in a rescue cat. It is bleeding a bit from the. It

Customer Question

We took in a rescue cat. It is bleeding a bit from the butt. It is female. We are not sure if it is fixed or not. How can we help her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Farrah today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is she bleeding from the rectum or from the vagina?

Is it pure blood or bloody mucus?

Is she passing normal stool and urine? Is she eating?

How long has this been going on?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is definitely blood from the rectum which just started this morning. No worms. She is eating fine but is very lethargic today and is an inside cat we think she is about 2 years old.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Passing mucus or blood from the rectum can also occur in some cases. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. All cases should have a thorough physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned and to make sure nothing more serious is going on. In her case, since she is acting lethargic, I would try to have her evaluated sooner than later. Intestinal worms, if present will not be visible to the naked eye and a fecal exam is to evaluate the stool microscopically for parasite eggs Intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes, but a rectal exam should be performed as well to evaluate the anal glands or to detect any other possible anatomic abnormalities.

Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast her to give her GI system a rest. Since he is an adult, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z