Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Vet prescribed my cat 68 mg of baytril tasty tab, 1 per day.

Customer Question

Vet prescribed my cat 68 mg of baytril tasty tab , 1 per day. She has suddenly developed very dilated eyes. She is 13.5lbs
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you think Kitten can see?

If you drop something like a cotton ball (with no odor or sound when it falls) do her eyes follow this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me try
she sees something but I"m not sure how well
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I will keep my eyes peeled for your reply,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the does for a uri seems awfully high. i have never had this drug prescribed before
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I agree that the dose is much too high for her. The once daily dose for a cat her size is 30mg. And the reason why I am asking you to check her sight is because when cats are overdosed we can see damage to their retinas causing reduced sight and or blindness (as high doses are retina toxic). Therefore, if she can see some, then we'd need to stop this medication immediately, ring her vet, and let them know the situation. They will need to use an alternative antibiotic for her UTI but also need to assesss her eyes. If the retinas are just inflamed, then they may respond to anti-inflammatories. But I must warn you that there could be a risk of reduced sight or blindness with this essentially double dose.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why did they do this. I'm in the middle of nowhere I can't get a vet till moring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is day three. she had a shot on saturday moring it's billed as 2.5 x 2 in cc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she can follow my finger
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad she can follow your finger, as that tells us that she does have sight and that is positive here. In that case, just don't give her any more of the medication and plan to see them as soon as they open. If we don't dose her with any more, then we shouldn't see this worsen for her. And once they see her, they do the above and sort this out for Kitten.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The constant call me for 18 bucks extra started to look like an add for one of those adult porn sites that run endless ads at night.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am not sure what you mean, but assume you are referring to the auto-emails from the website (which as I am sure you can appreciate are not something I have control over). I suspect they are actually being sent automatically not because they are requesting anything more, but rather reminding you to rate my help to you since otherwise I am not credited/paid for assisting.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to come back and apologize. that was possibly one of the worst nights of my life. We live very far from any ER vets. Kitten did lose most of her vision per an ophthalmologist exam at the VCA in Albuquerque. The vet also injected her with an unknown amount of enrofloxacin. We suspect that was miscalculated. 2.5 months later we had to Euthanize Kitten for liver failure. While we believe there is a connection between the two events we can't prove it. We are suing the vet for the ER bills and follow ups for losing her vision.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

No worries, it was understandably a very stressful time for you and your wee one. I am just very sorry to hear that she did lose her sight and deteriorated past a point she could be helped.

Please take care,

Dr. B.