petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is 19, almost 20 years old. She can no longer eat and

Customer Question

My cat is 19, almost 20 years old. She can no longer eat and has advanced dementia. She responds to me and purrs, but is just bones. Probably weighs less than two pounds. I live alone in the country in the middle of nowhere.
She would be too traumatized to take to the vet to be put to sleep.
What can I use, so I can hold her in my arms at home as she peacefully passes to kitty heaven?
I have phenergan, valium, some other things.
Please help. I can't stand to watch her fall over and not even be able to walk.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I can certainly understand your feelings on not wanting her final days to be stressful or traumatic, but unfortunately the agent that you are seeking does not exist. I am sorry to tell you that there is no orally administered drug that can be considered to be predictably effective or humane, especially with a cat in her state where her GI absorption and circulation are probably compromised.

Short of letting nature take it's course, your only other real option is to contact a veterinarian who will make a house call for euthanasia. Many veterinarians will as we all understand the situation and have all been through it ourselves. Good luck with your girl and I hope her remaining time with you is peaceful.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z