Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat break out on her nose and ears with sore every now

Customer Question

my cat break out on her nose and ears with sore every now and then ,is their something I can use to put on her. thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Are they pimples or actual wounds?

Does he seem itchy with them?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc)and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are wounds her on her nose and ears they start as pimples they do seem to be itchy.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Any scaling or crusting with it?

Have you noticed this arising after she has been in contact with any plants or foods?

And are you able to post a photo for me to see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she goes out sometime and eat good , is there something I could put on her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now the dilemma here is that we can see these kinds of recurring lesions for a range of reasons (ie fungal infections, secondary to allergies, some viral agents as well). That said, if you find that you are seeing pimples before wounds, this does suggest a bacterial infection. Therefore, you can try to topically manage this for her. Though if severe or if there are a lot of areas affected, then we'd want to obtain antibiotics from her local vet.

To try to do so, you can bathe these affected areas with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and/or diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color). This should be done at least three times a day, and discharges should be washed away. Further to this, (as long as you can prevent her from licking or washing this area --potentially by using an e-collar), you can also apply OTC triple antibiotic cream to these areas. Of course, do avoid those with numbing agents (since those are not cat friendly).

Finally, if it is very itchy, then you can also try her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.