Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 16 yr old cat who fell off couch and t

Customer Question

I have a 16 yr old cat who fell off couch and hit back/tailbone area. For a few minutes she couldnt walk. Now she is walking,eating etc. However she wont jump and she seems to not want to sit for very long. Is there something that can be done or does it heal on its own?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Lucy!

If she fell on her tail bone and is an old lass with arthritis, then this will have been very sore for her. So, its positive that she will walk now but completely understandable why she isn't keen to jump.

In regards ***** ***** her situation, the bruising and tenderness that she will be feeling will take time to heal. Of course, if sheis struggling a lot here, you can have her local vet start her on a cat safepain relief (ie Metacam) to ease this and get her moving more comfortably quicker.

Otherwise, we'd have to give her time +/- start her on some OTC nutritional supports. These tend to be better for the long term, but could be of benefit to her now. Therefore, I would suggest that you could consider trying her on glucosamine/chondroitin supplementation. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets,pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give kitties5 0mg glucosamine + 15mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, do consider trying this with her.

As well, we often use Omega 3 + 6 fish oils for sore joints in cats. These are a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce discomfort for her. When offering this we tend to give 20mg per pound of their body weight and many cats have no qualms about a bit of fish flavor added to their food. And its available over the counter at your vet, pet stores, and local health food stores.

Finally, if she is amenable, you can gently warm compressthe area. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Alternatively, you could also give her access to a heating pad to let her warm and relax these sore muscles as needed.

Overall, a fall is painful for any of us. Though when you are elderly and likely have arthritis a fall like this can be much more painful and cause discomfort for longer. So, her lack of jumping is not unexpected here. And we'd want to use the above for her to ease that discomfort and gether feeling better sooner.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. B.