petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a cat that has severe gi problems taken to vet twice

Customer Question

I have a cat that has severe gi problems taken to vet twice x-rays done, fluid given kept for two days blood work and urine check got better for a little while gone back to not eating still malase, given cyproheptadine can't get her to take. My vet cannot figure out problem, I think the liguida famatadine will help I think she has sick stomach she will look at food and try to cover, I have tried all kinds of food
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Cinnamon today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
Were there any abnormalities noted on the bloodwork or xrays?
Exactly what GI symptoms is she showing? Anorexia? Vomiting? Abdominal pain?
How long has this been going on? Is she losing weight?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Labs were ok, x-ray was fine, she was given enema stool clear, first trip had uti second trip it was clear, she is not eating, still drinking and urinating, had bowel movement two days ago, just laying around, vomiting occasional very little, kicking lips, I think she has nausea and just doesn't want to eat, maybe acid reflux, she used to have so much energy, she would run up the side of the wall, I hope you can help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure she has lost wt, she weights 6lbs. She is a small and short built cat, very fuzzy, she is not cleaning herself
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

This is a very common scenario in cats and it is likely that there is disease present, but that it is hiding very well. Most of the time with the symptoms you describe, the most likely location of the problem is the GI tract. Some cats have a low grade flare up of pancreatitis which can be a challenge to confirm as it is not always evident on routine bloodwork. Along with that, many of these same cats also have a degree of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or even intestinal cancer. Unfortunately, either of these can be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, xray or even ultrasound, although these test should be run to rule out other conditions that present with the same symptoms. There is a specific GI blood panel that can be requested and if abnormalities noted, can lend support to either pancreatic or intestinal disease. The only way however, to confirm the diagnosis is with a biopsy of the intestine. This can be done via endoscope, but is better performed with an exploratory surgery. The problem with this is that many cat owners are not willing to pursue the diagnosis by these means. It is for that reason that many cats are "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their weight loss and anorexia once all of the other easy to find things have been ruled out.

I suspect that may be where you are at with Cinnamon. If that is the case, you can discuss with your veterinarian the pros and cons of proceeding with a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis in her situation. Even if you choose to not go the route of biopsy, she may benefit from a course of corticosteroids and perhaps a hypoallergenic diet as sometimes food allergies contribute to the IBD. There are other medications and supplements used to manage IBD as well. Steroids help many cats with either of the two conditions to regain their appetite and gain weight, but if there is intestinal cancer, the result may be short lived. If cancer is confirmed with a biopsy, she may do better with other chemotherapeutic drugs to put her in remission for a longer period of time. If the cause is IBD only, you may be able to decrease or even stop the steroids after you see improvement. Biopsy and confirming the diagnosis is always the better choice, but not always feasible for every case. I would suggest that you work with your veterinarian to decide what is best for you and her. If you have a biopsy done, you could have a feeding tube placed at the same time so that you could offer liquid nutritional support and allow administration of oral medications until she is eating better on her own. Cat's tolerate these very well (my own had one for over 3 years).

Here are a few links you may find informative.

intestinal lymphoma

inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

feline pancreatitis

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just ate a little bit of dry hills sensitive stomach catfood but not much, she will not eat any canned, is there a liquid med she can get to help sick stomach
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vet did not recommend surgery
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Most GI meds are not available in liquid form, but most anything can be formulated into a liquid at a compunding pharmacy. Famotidine may help to settle her stomach. Cerenia is another medication that can help with nausea and make them feel like they want to eat. Mirtazapine is a potent appetite stimulant that can be offered. Even prednisolone (steroid) can be formulated into a liquid form and offered to her that way if IBD is suspected.