Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I forgot to return insulin to fridge yesterday. Is it

Customer Question

I forgot to return insulin to fridge yesterday. Is it usable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now it will depend on how warm it was outside of the fridge, the insulin brand, and how many hours it was out. If the weather was cool (<60*F), then we usually can get away with it being out for 2-4 hours before there is a break down in the insulin molecule and a reduction in its effectiveness. But as it is August and Arizona usually is a warm part of the world, we'd be concerned if this was out longer then this. So, if that is the case, then it'd be ideal to discard this bottle and use a new bottle. Otherwise, you can try the current insulin but need to monitor closely for any relapse of diabetes induced signs (ie increased thirst, appetite,or urination) and start a new bottle if these signs were observed.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )