Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is very skinny, has lost a lot of weight over the

Customer Question

My cat is very skinny, has lost a lot of weight over the last 2 months. Now he is dehydrated, probably severely. He doesn't eat much. Doesn't drink a lot of water. His gums are white, and eyes are yellowish. Is there anything I can do to help him until I can get him to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Edit: He is 9 years old, no previous health problems. Have not switched food. He vomits frequently, usually yellow or white foam, but sometimes is just a dry heave. I have tried feeding him canned tuna and he will eat maybe 2 tablespoons at a time, but not much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
I am very sorry to hear about your lad's signs. Now while his appetite loss and dehydration can be a feature of a range of issues; I must say that his gum color does ring alarm bells here. If his gums are white, this is a serious sign and one that needs to be addressed urgently. And unfortunately, while you could encourage him to eat/drink until he is seen, there won't be much you can do for this at home.
Now you didn't note any changes in his breathing, but white gums are often a sign of heart or lung compromise. That said, if he is breathing normally, then anemia (low red blood cell volume) would top our list of concerns here. This could cause him to feel weak, wobbly, and lethargic. And again if there is breathing compromise (if he is breathing faster then 30 breaths in a minute), then he likely is refusing food/water due to not being able to spare a breath. Furthermore, if the whites of his eyes are what is yellow, then jaundice due to liver disease is also a concern here.
Overall, these signs are ones that unfortunately hint at serious health issues here that cannot be readily supported at home. Therefore, we do need to get him seen as urgently as possible to diagnose what has triggered these signs and give him a chance of recovery.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.