petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat is wheezing and coughing ,he has no fever so we have

Customer Question

My cat is wheezing and coughing ,he has no fever so we have penicillin for our other barn animals, I just want to make sure of the right dosage
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Bacterial causes of coughing and wheezing in cats are very rare. More often than not, when a cat presents with those symptoms, we are either dealing with a viral infection (in which case an antibiotic would be of no value) or an inflammatory issue like allergic bronchitis or asthma. I would not recommend giving an antibiotic without an examination by a veterinarian and at least a tentative diagnosis. I would strongly urge you to schedule Jessie for a physical exam.
In the meantime, there would be no harm in offering him a over the counter antihistamines to help. The product called Chlor-trimaton® which is the brand name for the generic medication called chlorpheneramine is safe to use. A dose of 2mg given once or twice a day is fine.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.