Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Have an adult male cat who seems to have an infection on the

Customer Question

Have an adult male cat who seems to have an infection on the side of his face. Quite swollen . He is a family pet buy will not come into the house although he is in and out most days. We have tried to pick him up so that we can take him to the vet and he scurries away and has made it difficult for us to locate him. Is there anything in particular that we can do to coach him in. Thank you MB
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! I'm sorry to hear that your kitty isn't feeling well.

It's not uncommon for indoor/outdoor cats to get into scuffles with other cats and get bite wounds on their face that require medical attention. I know that it can be frustrating when they give us trouble trying to get them caught up to go to the vet!

Firstly, I would continue trying to get him inside. This is certainly your best best for catching him. Food is usually your best bet, so I try not to leave it out where he can eat when we aren't looking and then not be hungry enough to respond to our temptations with food. You can also try leaving a cat carrier or larger dog crate (even better because it's more likely that he'll go into a larger crate) outside with his food. You can also use a cat trap - they sell them at most feed stores and some local shelters and vet hospitals actually rent them out.

You could also consider trying to get him close enough that you could throw a heavy blanket over him, but I would caution you that if he becomes very upset by this you could be at risk for a bite. I've also seen clients catch cats with larger fishing nets.

It's definitely difficult catching cats when they don't want to be caught but it's usually a matter or time and patience. And luck :)

~Dr. Sara