Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our normally very active 2 year old kitten ran into a table

Customer Question

Our normally very active 2 year old kitten ran into a table leg this morning during her romp and is suddenly somewhat disoriented and appears to be confused. Is it possible she has a concussion from the incident? If so what should we do to help her?
Thank you.
John Bengston
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, John. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your history, I would be highly suspicious that she has caused herself a minor concussion. As long as she isn't overly dull, collapsed, or showing changes in breathing; the mainstay of treatment is to keep her somewhere where she cannot fall or hurt herself while we monitor her. Generally speaking, these signs often settle within a few hours. Of course, if she were to show the above signs or not settle, then we'd have to be concerned that this trauma has caused a brain based bleed or soft tissue inflammation. And in that case, we'd need to have her vet potentially start her on a short course of anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, steroids, etc) to reduce inflammation and her signs as her brain heals from this head trauma.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the response. We will watch the kitten over night and take her to our Vet on Monday for a check up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
That sounds like a good plan of action here.
Hopefully as we get further from the head trauma, we will see her start to normalize and perk up for you.
All the best,
Dr. B.