Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have 3 cats and 1 dog, I was finding blood spotting

Customer Question

I have 3 cats and 1 dog, I was finding blood spotting around, did not know which one, well the next morning, my petite 12 yr. old female cat was laying down and got up and fell down, there was a lot of blood on the rug where she was lying, the night before she ate well, acted fine. brought her to the vet and he said the blood was coming from her bladder and it was mixing with her urine, she was bleeding out. He put her on antibiotics and gave her an IV and said he would call me, he did, she kept bleeding out. he said if he operated he could loose her she was about 6 lbs., we decided to put her down, he thinks she could have had a bladder tumor or cancer, I need to know what went wrong, please help me put my mind at rest.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of Muffin. Was she spayed? Did your vet feel that she was getting worse despite the antibiotics and IV fluids? Did they discuss possibly doing an ultrasound to get more information? Getting more information helps me to best get a feel for what they were seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she was spayed, she was dying, yes the vet felt she was getting worse, she started bleeding out again.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me with that information. With her being spayed, the blood wouldn't have been coming from the uterine tissue. I've seen some similar cases where there is an infection in the uterus called a pyometra, but this wouldn't be the case here. With the blood that was being seen, then it would have been coming from the vaginal environment or the bladder. If it was that profuse and she was getting that compromised, the consideration for a tumor that was the source of the hemorrhage would have been very large. If it was available, an ultrasound may have been used to get more information / confirmation about this. Based on the treatments that your vet had done and how she was progressing, it sounds like the best decision was made for her. I feel that when a veterinarian discusses / brings up euthanasia, they are feeling that the situation is one where it is their feeling that it is a good decision based on what they are seeing. I can't give you an exact answer as to what was going on, but I want you to feel comfortable knowing that you gave Muffin the care that she needed and her situation was just too serious to respond to the available therapy. I know it is hard to second guess decisions, but it was the best one for her - to let her go with peace. My condolences at this time of loss.