Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We have three cats and the time came to do our flea

Customer Question

Hi. We have three cats and the time came to do our flea prevention treatment. We got it on two of the cats and my mom accidentally used the third tube two days later on one of the cats that had already received the treatment. We are using Advantage II in the tubes. The instructions say not to apply twice, but they don't say what will happen. Is my cat potentially in danger?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was it the dose (over 4kg, under 4kg)?
How much does he weigh?
How long ago was the 2nd tube applied?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says each tube is .8 mlI don't have an accurate weight, but the last time he was weighed he was 11.8 pounds and he hasn't lost much or gained any weight.The second tube was applied around four hours ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just weighed him and he's 10.9 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now first off, this tends to be a very well tolerated drug in the cat. In fact, when the company did its initial testing, they treated cats with 8-24x the dose and still saw no adverse effects. Therefore, 2x in two days is unlikely to cause harm. If anything, we could see some short term GI upset (especially if he is able to lick it at all).
In this case, though risk is low, if it has been 4 hours and we just want to err on the side of caution, you can wash off what oil is still left on his coat and skin. That will just reduce what he can absorb. If you do so, then use cool water and dish soap. Warmer water can speed up absorption (and counter what we are doing) and dish soap is better at breaking down oils then shampoo or other cleaners may be.
Overall, this isn't a major worry here. The active ingredients are well tolerated. So, we'd just want to remove what may be yet to be absorbed and we'd not expect any severe signs or long term harm from this.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )