Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My normally docile cat has been intermittently growling and

Customer Question

My normally docile cat has been intermittently growling and hissing at his brother for the past day for no apparent reason. Seems to be perfectly fine unless the other cat is in site. Growling cat is 9 years old; younger cat is 6 years old- they've been together for 6 years.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are 'fixed'... no new pets in the household; both are indoor cats only. No recent visitors; no changes in household routine.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Sometimes this can be a sign of a medical issue. If they feel "weakness" or sickness, they do not want to seem weak due to a pack mentality, so they will growl and hiss to appear strong. I would see your vet for an exam and possible blood work to rule out a medical cause for this. If that is all normal, I would buy a Feliway diffuser from Amazon.com or a pet store. It is something you plug into a wall socket and it diffuses a pheromone that calms and soothes cats and can prevent this sort of agitation/aggression. If those things do not work, then you may have to consider medication for the aggressor- Prozac is a common one, and can be given in flavored oral liquid or transdermal cream in the ear flap.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.