Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We are caring son's 16 year old cat with diabetes. 4 mg

Customer Question

We are caring for my son's 16 year old cat with diabetes. 4 mg insulin twice a day. He's been going down hill for the last several days. He's just out of it moving his head back and forth.He had lost all control of his hind legs, which were extremely weak anyway.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you check a blood sugar on him just now (as some owners have glucometers for their cats)?
Has he been off food?
Can he move his hind legs on his own at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave him insulin .3mg and methimazole .5 mg, his usual morning dose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems alert moving his head back and forth. But he is extremely weak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not eaten food lately. He was eating regularly before.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Now I did already see what you have treated with. In any case, I am very concerned about Nemo. His head bobbing is highly suggestive of him having had a seizure.
With his current health issues, this could have been triggered by his thyroid disease (directly or due to a brain based bleed) or more worryingly a crash in his blood sugar due to a diabetic hypoglycemic event. And this is especially a worry if you gave insulin to him when he was not eating (since he has no sugar in his system to tolerate it).
In this case, you are in a very serious situation with him. You need to have him seen urgently by your local vet. If there is any delay in doing so, you can rub some honey, glucose syrup or similarly su***** *****quids on his gums to try and get his blood sugar up. But further to this, with him in this state, he needs to have a blood sugar checked and likely needs to be stabilized on IV fluids. Otherwise, we could see further seizures, he could collapse, or even pass away.
Overall, this is a very worrying situation for Nemo and we need to act fast. So, get some honey or similar on his gums just now. And do have him seen, since this is such a precarious position for him to be in and the risk of collapse and crashing on you is quite high.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr.B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.