Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I recently adopted a cat and have now learned that he has

Customer Question

I recently adopted a cat and have now learned that he has Coronavirus. I've had numerous tests done to confirm this diagnosis (PCR, ultrasound, blood work) so now I'm trying to figure out if there is something I can do for him that will control his diarreah?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Picasso having diarrhea from this virus. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I have had luck treating cats (including my own cat) with diarrhea with Royal Canin Gastrointestinal diet. It comes in canned and dry, and in three levels: high energy for cats that are thin, moderate calorie for cats that are an ideal weight, and low fat if he is too heavy. You can get it from your veterinarian or at Chewy.com with a prescription from your vet.

I like to use probiotics, such as Fortiflora, Proviable or Culturelle. The first two are made just for cats and can be found online, in vet offices and in pet stores. Culturelle is made for people and can be found in drug stores.

A course of metronidazole (prescription from your vet) may be helpful. It reduces inflammation in the colon, and is an antibiotic that may help with overgrowth of "unfriendly" bacteria.

Adding fiber to his food, by adding cooked sweet potato or canned unsweetened pumpkin can help.

For the vomiting, I would try Cerenia (from your vet) or famotidine (Pepcid AC, 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet, twice daily).

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you dealt with cats specifically with Coronavirus! Picasso has very explosive, watery diarreah and he growls when in the litter box as if he is in pain-probably cramping.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I have had cats that tested positive for this virus, and had diarrhea, yes.

I adopted a kitten from the shelter with explosive watery diarrhea and it took months to get the diarrhea under control. He did not test positive for corona, but his diarrhea was terrible, the worst I have dealt with. Two weeks of metronidazole, the fiber, and getting him on the Royal Canin diet was what finally worked for him after trying many other diets and therapies. C

We do not have any drugs to treat Corona virus specifically. Each case is different. If you have not tried the Royal Canin diet or probiotics, I would start there.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Being positive for Corona does not mean that is the cause of his diarrhea. 30% of pet cats will test positive for this virus, and many never have diarrhea.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can help with or answer?