Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

15 yr old indoor cat in renal failure. Stopped eating a few

Customer Question

15 yr old indoor cat in renal failure.
Stopped eating a few days ago. Started giving subQ fluids.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago were the fluids started?
Does he have no interest in eating or is he keen but then turning away as if unable?
Has Ru had any vomiting, gagging, lip licking or retching?
Any drooling, pawing at his mouth or crunching of his teeth?
Is he on any other treatments for his gums or kidney?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8-18 SubQ saline fluidsWeakly looks at food or treats and turns awayInfected gums-not treatedVomiting 8/15-17Meowing, crying occasionallySome nasal discharge clear, dry. Drooling wet mouth, looks clearDry kibble (not senior), occasional can tuna (human, not cat foodWeak when walking; got in litter box Wednesday to pee
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if Ru has not been eating well, then this will be causing his weakness, lethargy, and general malaise. In regards ***** ***** for this, we do have a few potential causes. First, if he does have gingivitis that is causing his mouth discomfort, this can cause appetite loss in cat. Otherwise and our top concern is that this all related to his kidney issue. And I would note that kidney disease can impact the feline appetite in a few different ways. First, it can cause the development of uremic ulcers of the mouth/throat that are painful and make the cat too sore to eat. As well, it can cause a secondary uremic gastritis which triggers nausea and vomiting as you have seen.
Just to note, while not playing a role in his appetite loss, we need to monitor his crying. This is because we can see kidney disease also trigger elevation blood pressure which can lead to increased vocalizing (seeming without reason). So, if the cries are increasing in
frequency, we'd want to consider a check of his blood pressure +/- think about starting kidney supportive medication (ie Semintra, Fortekor, phosphate binders) to help his kidneys alongside the subcutaneous fluids.
Otherwise, we need to focus on that appetite loss. Since nausea is a top concern here, we can consider treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.
If you try this but find he is too nauseous to keep this down or still won't eat, then you will want to speak to your vet about stronger prescription anti-vomiting specific medication like maropitant (Cerenia), metoclopramide (Reglan),ondansetron (Zofran). Your vet can provide this via injection or orally if need be and these should be considered if the antacids are not strong enough for him. As well, if necessary, the vet can dispense appetite stimulation medication (ie Mertazipine) to give him a wee push to eat for us.
Finally, if you try these and he doesn't respond or if he is sore with his mouth, then we'd want to also consider speaking to his vet about kidney safe pain relief (ie Bupenorphine) +/- antibiotics to address this for him.
Overall, we do have a few different issues that could be triggering his anorexia. Therefore, we'd want to use the above to tackle the most likely reasons for him and see if we can get him back to eating properly for us.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )