Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My cat sheds like crazy. How can we control this? I have a

Customer Question

My cat sheds like crazy. How can we control this? I have a flea comb and that takes out lots of hair but looks like it never stops
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara - thanks for sending in your question today :)

You have definitely hit upon one of the most common questions that I get asked on a daily basis. There are a few things we can do to try to remove the dead fur from our kitties, but in general the amount of shedding that they do is individual and can be VERY impressive! You are absolutely right when you say it "looks like it never stops"!

My dad was a vet for 50+ years - I grew up hearing him tell clients "If she's not bald, it's not abnormal!" As long as they aren't developing any rashes, scabs, or bald spots, it's within what we'd consider normal for a cat.

So what things can you try? Well, you've already started with one and that's grooming. The flea comb is fantastic for pulling out old fur. Another product that I like is called a Furminator. This product helps remove old coat and shorten the remaining coat. If she has very long hair, a wide toothed rake type of comb can be helpful.

I have many clients (especially with long haired cats) visit the groomer to have their cats either just bathed or fully clipped down. The special types of spray nozzles the groomer uses can remove large amounts of old fur and give you a bit of a "shedding honeymoon" after grooming where she won't shed nearly as much. For longer haired cats, fully flipping their bodies down can be a very attractive option. I have a lot of clients tell me that they think their long haired cat is so much happier after being clipped down. Sometimes it's only necessary to do this once or twice a year.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions for you!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Oh! Also, one other tip that I forgot to add to the above post - I have a lot of clients who swear by a nutritional supplement called Dinovite that claims to reduce shedding. The way I see it, a supplement like that is possibly helpful, but unlikely to be harmful.

Here is their website: http://www.dinovite.com/dinovite-for-cats/

Thanks :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what the groomer would do? Trim the hair?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

The special nozzles groomers have on their washing tables helps soap up and remove dead coat in a similar way that combing does - only it gets a larger amount of dead hair out in a shorter period of time. If you want your cat to be trimmed down, a groomer can also do that - it's all up to you :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara