Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My little dog has an open sore on s neck,thought it might be

Customer Question

my little dog has an open sore on his neck,thought it might be a woorble,but cat see any thing,just an open sore
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara! I apologize that I'm not set up to take phone calls, but I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on Tofu.

Our pets can get scabs and scratches from traumatic injuries of all sorts - and most of the time we have no idea how they did it. Sometimes they can also develop little skin masses that can bleed or scab over and look ugly.

In general, for small traumas, we expect it to heal with little intervention in a week or two. A lump or mass that is bleeding may not heal up on its own. Sometimes it's a benign "wart" type of mass but if it keeps bleeding and bothering him, then it should be checked out by a vet.

With small wounds I suggest clipping as much of the fur away as possible and keeping the area clean and dry. Peroxide can be irritating and delay the healing process, so warm water would be a little better. If it's bothering her quite a lot, getting larger, or showing signs of infection like swelling, excessive pain or redness, or discharge, she should be examined by a vet. Likewise if it's not showing any signs of healing after a few days, it might need to be examined.

Please keep in mind that I'm making an educated guess based on your description and my education and experience - nothing can replace an in-person exam by a vet.

I sure hope this info is helpful - Please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions for you!

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if its a woorble how can we make it come out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a round hole about 1eight to 1fourth in size,thank you for info about peroxide
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

If it's a warble you will see a small white or tan "dot" appearing and disappearing in the middle of the hole. That's the tip of the head coming up for air. I don't recommend trying to pull it out, because if it breaks open or ruptures it can cause the kitty to have a severe allergic reaction. Most vets are both skilled at removal and prepared to treat a reaction should it occur. If the wound has been there a few days and you no longer see the head peeking out for breaths, the warble may have already come out on its own - they do come out of the wound to drop into the ground and complete the life cycle.

Keep in mind that I'm not entirely sure it's a warble based on your description but your vet would easily be able to tell on physical exam

~Dr. Sara