Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has a big "lesion" of a better word on s paw - it

Customer Question

My cat has a big "lesion" for lack of a better word on his paw - it almost looks like a huge blood blister. I can tell it is painful to him because he holds it up and doesn't put weight on it unless he has to. What in the world could it be? I've had many, many cats in my 58 years and have never seen anything like it !
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a photo of this lesion to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. You appear to be describing a bite wound abscess and that would be the most likely finding if Pete associates with other cats. These need to be lanced and flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and then a systemic antibiotic administered for a minimum of 5 days. They can't be managed properly in a topical manner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an email address I can send the picture to ? I can take it on my I-phone, but I only know how to text it or email it. Please advise.

Yes, you can email it to***@******.*** who will then forward it to me. This can take up to 24 hours, however.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent the picture. I am home alone for a few days, but it's breaking my heart to see this ! Pete is an extremely laid back cat and I just adore him. Please let me know how to proceed. I can't really afford to call because I've been out of a job for several months now.

I'll watch for the pic. By the principle of Occam's Razor, you'e looking at a bite wound abscess which will need Pete's vet's attention. I understand your financial constraints, however. Perhaps his vet offers CareCredit - a way that you can stretch out payments for veterinary care.

I just received the photo. That was certainly unexpected! It represents an unusual and aggressive tumor that needs to be surgically removed and biopsied to then see if additional ancillary treatment is needed. Pete's vet can aspirate it and examine the aspirate microscopically in an attempt to identify the cell type of the tumor but it needs to be removed in any event and the biopsy of the removed tumor will tell you what you need to know.
Please continue our conversation if you wish. I'll be away from my computer for a few hours but promise to reply when I return if need be.