Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 18 yr old cat has very dry fur, can I apply vegetable oil

Customer Question

my 18 yr old cat has very dry fur, can I apply vegetable oil in tiny quantity
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear your kitty has dry fur. I am happy to help you this evening. You can try to use vegetable oil in tiny quantities but vegetable oil can cause upset tummy even in small amounts if she tries to groom it off of her and vegetable oil can spoil and smell bad on her. But wouldn't necessarily hurt her. One other thing that works great with hair and skin and would be ok if she licked some of it would be cocount oil. This is good for skin and hair, won't spoil and is safe. So you may want to consider that also. They sell fish oil capsules also to place on her food that she can eat that will help with hair coat and skin health. Just another option to consider.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!