Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a cat that is over weight and there is a terrible

Customer Question

i have a cat that is over weight and there is a terrible odor coming from her rear end.tries to clean herself but she is in pain any idea why???
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Spotty. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The first thing I would check her for is impacted or infected anal glands. If she is overweight, she may not be emptying the glands like normal.

The other problems I see in overweight cats is feces matted around the anus, causing both pain and a bad smell. Sometimes I have to clip away matted hair and feces with eletric clippers, never with scissors.

Is she eating and drinking normally? If not, I would check for a colon impaction. This involves putting on a glove, and feeling inside her colon. I could check the anal glands the same way.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not matted hair i looked its very red and she is not going to the bathroom in her box but on the floor and it almost nothing and runny.she is eating but does not want to move much so been bring to her and water so she is hungry but dont think she wants to move because she does not want to sit and when she does she holds her back end up.is ther anything i can do for now
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Good that she will let you look; many cats will not.

If she has runny stools, she is not constipated, but she may need to be treated with antibiotics, anti diarrhea medication, probiotics, and fiber.

You can try adding fiber to her food: canned unsweetened pumpkin, Metamucil. You can also try probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable, or Culturelle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anything i can do for her pain so u thing for she she need meds
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sadly, most over the counter pain drugs are not safe in cats. Tylenol, for example, is deadly to cats. The only pain medication that is safe would be 1/2 of a baby aspirin, if she is eating and not vomiting. You can do this only once every 3 to 4 days (yes, days!).

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

All other pain medications we use in cats are by prescription only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the baby aspirin let her get up and move at least and what can i do to make her go to the bathroom normal again anything ,will the fiber let that happen maybe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the wet food worse for diarrhea then dry will the dry food be better for now
or no
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The baby aspirin is the only safe pain medication I can suggest. It is anti inflammatory, and may help her feel better. I would rather use buprenorphine if she is painful, but that needs a prescription. Aspirin may help her feel better, and get up and move. You would have to try a dose to see if it helps her. I only give it if the cat is eating well.

I had a cat with terrible diarrhea, since he was a kitten. My research showed that canned food, or food containing fish were not recommended. He was greatly helped by the special diet made for diarrhea called Royal Canin GI.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Spotty doing?