Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat who is 18 has 3 legs and renal failure now has lots

Customer Question

My cat who is 18 has 3 legs and renal failure now has lots of matted hair appearing where he is finding it hard to groom. He sleeps 99.9% of the time and has started going off his food.
He is finding it hard to climb my stairs and I have to carry him most days. Is it time to say goodbye?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Tetley's current situation. I'm going to be very honest here and say that I'm in a similar situation as yourself with my own cat who is 19 and who is starting to decline. When is the right time to make the decision to let a pet go? It isn't always clear cut. Some owners will make the decision much sooner in the progression than others. What I tell owners (and myself) is that a pets quality of life is good when they are eating, drinking, comfortable, not stressed and being social for them. As you can see, this is a very open interpretation of what is good quality of life. For some, they are naturally more sedentary than others. For some, they are more social than others. When is the time to say goodbye? It is time to make that decision when the good days are outnumbered by the bad ones. With the situation you're describing with Tetley, you know that when you do make the decision, it will be in his best interest. The decision to let a pet go is the last gift you can give to them - to not let them decline further. I wish you the most strength here in the coming days.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Catriona,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?