purrfectkitty
purrfectkitty,
437368

Can You Give Cat Human Xanax Dosage 0.25mg/kg?

Customer Question

Can you give a cat human Xanax if the dosage is 0.25mg/kg?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  purrfectkitty replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry Billie gets anxious in the car. Yes, he can take Xanax @ 0.25 mg/kg every 12 hours.
DOSAGE
Cats - 0.125 - 0.25 mg/kg orally, taken every 12 hours
Here is info:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/alprazolam-xanax
Since you will be on the road I suggest you do a trial run a day or two before. Then you will see how he tolerates the drug and does not have a paradoxical effect.
You can give him a meal of turkey before you leave. It contains L-triptophan and can be almost as effective as a tranquilizer.
You must take extra precautions when traveling with a cat. Your baby should wear a little harness at all times (not a collar). Have a disk on the harness with your name and cell and home phone number.A frightened cat can bolt out an open door or window like a bolt of lightening so you do not want to chance of him getting lost without ID.
When in the car, keep catnip in the carrier and a towel that has been sprayed with Feliway. That will keep him calm. Some cats feel better if the carrier is covered.
Please let me know how things go.