Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 4 year old cat over vocalizes. He meows all night every

Customer Question

My 4 year old cat over vocalizes. He meows all night long every night and does this every night and keeps me awake.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - thanks for your patience in us as we get the right expert and answer.

It would be unusual for what you're describing to be a medical problem based on Sammie's age, but diseases like hyperthyroidism can cause this type of behavior. Some cats will also act this way if they are in discomfort of any variety, which can be difficult to determine without a physical examination.

Barring medical problems, this is very likely a behavioral issue. Cats are nocturnal by their nature and so many will be active and want your attention in the middle of the night. If he is not neutered, this can DEFINITELY affect his behavior. Cats who are not neutered will drive you absolutely crazy trying to get outside. Some cats also just want to be outside. This is especially true if they were born and raised outside and then brought in. Once they have some freedom outside to hunt and enjoy the outdoors, many cats do not like it indoors as much anymore.

I certainly recommend that you have him checked over by your vet for medical issues, especially if you are considering letting him outside - he needs to be up to date on his vaccinations and ideally microchipped to keep him as safe as possible when he is outside.

I sure hope this info helps - please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara