Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Big Island Vet I found a kitten who had an injury to her

Customer Question

Hello Big Island Vet I found a kitten who had an injury to her hindleg; an xray revealed the fracture seen in the attached photo. Surgeons say they will put in plates (veterinary instrumentation). 1) I would like a 2nd opinion on what is the best surgical
procedure to repair this fracture. 2) For post-surgical care they are saying that I must keep her in the smallest carrier size available for 3 weeks (!) or else the plates won't work. Need a 2nd opinion on this too. The latter does not seem very practical
(where would her litterbox go?) or health for her.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Hi Amanda - It's nice to hear from you but this time I have to opt out and let a surgeon consult with you. My primary interest is medicine and I refer out surgical cases like these. Who do you have on the island who can do the advanced orthopedic surgery necessary?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThere is a vet orthopaedic surgeon at the Vet School, but I would like a 2nd opinion on the best options of how to proceed with repair of this fracture. If this is not your area, then as you suggested, can you refer me to a surgeon?Thanks

We don't have a special category for veterinary surgery but perhaps a vet who knows more about orthopedic surgery will enter the conversation after I opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Looking forward to hearing from them.
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello Amanda my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I have had some experience with fracture repair in cats and dogs. Are you still looking for assistance with this question?