Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 13 year old male cat had stones in s urethra and surgery

Customer Question

My 13 year old male cat had stones in his urethra and surgery to remove them. Was prescribed C/D wet and dry food. After his recovery period and off antibiotics and pain meds he began to get weaker and develop crusty sores all over his body. After a visit to his vet and many senior tests he said he had an autoimmune problem - thus the sores and low potassium that caused the weakness, shaking, barely able to walk and his head on his chest most of the time. At this time he's almost finished with a bottle of Clavamax - for the sores and Renal K+ a potassium supplement. The potassium supplement seems to be working after five days, he's almost back to normal. Jumping, walking, cleansing himself and interacting with his sister.
I stopped feeding him the wet C/D food a week or so ago. He's still eating the dry and also I'm giving him white chicken meat and broth. Three days ago i reintroduced a small amount of the C/D wet food with the chicken. He now has a few new red spots.
Could the wet C/D food be causing the problem? My vet says no, it's an autoimmune problem. I know I can't feed him the senior IMES and Friskies wet that he's been eating all his life due to the fact the stones may reappear. Is there some kind of home prepared diet I can fix that will meet the need of the stones not reappearing and also the potassium need?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there likely is but I need more information. Which type of stone was found and is there any indication of renal insufficiency (elevated BUN, creatinine, serum phosphorus; dilute urine, proteinuria)? Can you upload a copy of his most recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be able to get the information needed from my vet tomorrow. regarding the type of stone. I also have a copy of his lab reports and can scan it. How do I attach it and send it to you?

Thank you. If you scan it, it will appear as a file on your computer which you then attach to our conversation by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box.