Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 7 year old cat had a seizure last night, which lasted

Customer Question

My 7 year old cat had a seizure last night, which lasted about 2 minutes. She was on her side in full convulsions, eventually settled into heavy panting and foaming at the mouth. She seemed okay after that, but I noticed her water dish was knocked over. This morning, 8 hours later, she had another, which I wasn't able to see right away but walked in just after she got done. She was standing rigid, trying to balance, ears completely flat and panting. Again, her water dish is spilled and she's completely soaked from laying in it. She's never had a seizure before that I am aware of. Right now I have her blocked from the kitchen (where her food was), and have given her new food in a new dish and fresh bottled water (she usually drinks tap water) in a new dish as well, but put them in a different room. Last night, my husband mopped the floor with a Lysol solution. Could this cause the seizures? If she's poisoned and removed from the area, could it work it's way out of her system? What do I
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did he use the old Lysol (with phenols) or was this the new version?
Did she have contact with the wet floor (either licking it or walking on it when wet)?
Any access to anything else (ie plants, chemicals, human medication, etc)?
Any previous health issues?