Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is pooping in my carpet and haft of the poop is light

Customer Question

My cat is pooping in my carpet and haft of the poop is light gray and soft with what might look like a little bit of blood. The other half is normal. He also threw up in my carpet a hairball. I left him with a cat sitter for a week while I was on a work trip, when i returned saturday night he didn't have any water but the sitter said she gave him some friday. Im worried that no water migh have affected him. He had also vomited a lot with hairball in the carpet.
I'm really short on money to take him to the vet but I'm worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

It sounds like he may be having a bit of a stress response in his gut from the change in scenery with you leaving. That can stress out some cats and cause vomiting and diarrhea. It will usually resolve within a couple days on it's own.

To help it resolve, make sure he's eating and drinking normally. You can also give 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin 2-3 times daily to help normalize his bowel movements. The extra fiber will help the colon. This should resolve nicely on it's own, though. It doesn't sound too serious.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.