Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Last night after i had given my 4old Main coon a flea bath

Customer Question

Hi, last night after i had given my 4old Main coon a flea bath he started demonstrating wheezing sounds in his breathing. This morning he was still wheezing. I was so concerned about these symptoms that i took him into an emergency vet...they gave him an X ray and discovered a mass growth on his lung near his heart...she said she was pretty sure it is a tumor...I have been given antibiotics to give him...we started this tonight. with regards ***** ***** tumor they suggested getting it removed. I know this is a very invasive operation and painful. Also it would be very costly. I was also advised that this might not be successful. He has a good appetite. still drinking water. not purring as much though. i can just tell he seems not well. Please could you advise me what to do.
Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Has he had any symptoms before now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no symptoms, just the wheezing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Doctor who saw him today does not think the wheezing is connected to the mass on his lungs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats why she put him on a coarse of antibiotics. Is there anyway this mass could me water on his lungs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wheezing started last night during his bath

Fluid on the lungs typically has a completely different look than a tumor so based on what you've described I think that's unlikely. It's hard to believe that the wheezing is not related to the mass in my mind but without seeing the x-rays that is a difficult assessment to make. Tumor is certainly a possibility and if he were older it would almost certainly be a tumor. There are some masses in the chest that are not tumors such as abcesses and granulomas. In those cases surgery could cure the situation or possibly antibiotics alone. I think your best option is to have more tests done because an x-ray, while a good test, is not able to determine the cause of a mass. It may require a CT scan or possibly ultrasound and a biopsy. Depending on the exact location, getting a biopsy may not require surgery.