Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Can I use Systane lubricant eye drops on my healthy seven

Customer Question

Can I use Systane lubricant eye drops on my healthy seven year old cat that has herpes in one eye since birth, she has been to a specialist for this diagnosis, and been on expensive medicine, I know I need to get her back as her meds are expired and out of two of them, I just can't afford it this week, so can I use Systane lubricant just till I can get her eye antibiotics?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to say her eye is very yucky like it can get in the past with her flair ups, its got a discharge when I put warm cloth on her it helps.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
What color is her eye discharge?
What treatments was she on? Is she on anything just now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her eye discharge is clear, she has had this her whole life, they sent me to a vet eye specialist when she was about two, and the regular vet could not figure it out.the specialist said herpes in the left eye only, a special eye drop and salve and the medicine that starts with an L, can't think of it right now, just want temp help till I can get her back to the vet, thank-you, her eye itself is puffy a bit, she is eating good, too good, lol..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not on anything now, but the vet said she needs it for maybe the test of her life, I have other pets and just got through paying for one pet minor surgery, so I have to wait, and do what I can to keep her comfortable.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am suspicious that the medication you have used in the past was L-lysine. We do find it of benefit in treating feline herpes virus. As well, I would note that it is available over the counter (at vets but also pet stores, health food stores, and even Amazon). Therefore, even if you cannot get her seen at this stage, it'd be advisable start her back on it at this point. And this would likely help the most given her herpes carrier status.
Otherwise in regards ***** ***** question, the Systane does have a few things that we'd be best to avoid for her. So, instead it'd be ideal to just flush the eye with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution) a few times daily. This will reduce irritation but also help reduce the risk of secondary bacterial infection. Afterwards, if they are red and sore, plain artificial tears (ie Lacrilube, Viscotears, etc) can be used as needed. Though do avoid any that say they "get the red out" as those can be irritating to cats.
Overall, these drops are not ideal but you can use the above over the counter supportive care to help reduce eye irritation but also try to reduce the active herpes viral load causing these signs.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Past med tromethamine optic 0. 5% end of last year. I usually can apply moist warm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.don't need the call
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
If you have that one on hand, you can use it. Otherwise, I would definitely start the above with her.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)