Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My 11 year old, 13 pound neutered male cat has been on

Customer Question

My 11 year old, 13 pound neutered male cat has been on prednisolone 7.5 mg once daily for 10 days and the tumors on his throat and stomach aren't being reduced. He just seems to be getting worse. My vet says if it isn't working by now, the treatment is a failure, and he doesn't seem willing to put him on any other medicine for his lymphoma. Is there anything else I should be trying in your opinion? His breathing is heavy and I'm thinking I might have to end his misery very soon.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you tell me how the lymphoma was diagnosed? Was it by needle biopsy?
2. How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lymphoma was diagnosed 3 years ago by needle biopsy. My cat was on prednisolone for a short time, then he seemed fine up until about a month ago, when I noticed he was running a fever, and had a few lumps on his throat. I took him to my vet, and he was put on prednisolone again. His fever did go away, but his lumps didn't shrink in size, and I was told that the mass he has near his kidneys was getting bigger. His appetite is poor, and I've been giving him a/d food by mouth, since he eats very little on his own. He does drink water.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Firstly, I have to say that I question the diagnosis of lymphoma. Cutaneous (skin) form of lymphoma (or just about any other type, but especially the cutaneous type) in cats do not carry a very good prognosis and don't respond well to chemotherapy (which amounts to a much broader treatment than prednisolone alone). It is almost unheard of for a cat with lymphoma to have a survival time of 3 years, especially with prednisolone without any other drug, so this is why the initial diagnosis is questionable....

I think you definitely need more information before making decisions about what to do. I would recommend re-aspirating the masses (as many as possible), taking x-rays of Smokey's chest to screen for spread of the tumors and having routine blood testing done to determine if the organ functions are normal. In addition, I would consider removing one of the masses for a full biopsy as this is much more likely to give you a definitive diagnosis as opposed to a needle aspirate. If your veterinarian seems unwilling to consider other options, I would seek a second opinion; you can find the nearest specialist here: http://www.acvim.org/AnimalOwners/FindaSpecialist.aspx

Hope this helps!