Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Reading through some blogs, 12yr old Persian seems to want

Customer Question

Reading through some blogs, 12yr old Persian seems to want very little to eat, has gone from 10 pounds to eight in the last six months...had him to the vet...blood panels did not reveal anything, looking for options. Using the same food he grew up on, now I'm putting different food in other rooms to give him options but he doesn't seem to want to eat, drinks water. I'm a bit worried at this point, though the vet would be able to identify something
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! I'm so sorry that you've having a difficult time with Sabastian. It's very frustrating (both for you AND your vet) when it's clear that something is amiss but it doesn't show up on blood work.

When this happens with my patients, I usually give a thorough broad spectrum deworming (just in case, because fecal exams do not always show intestinal parasites). If the kidneys check out OK on lab work, I also discuss trying kitten food because of its higher calorie count. Alternatively, you could try a prescription diet like a/d - this is very high in easily metabolizable energy and is very palatable to cats (it's YUMMY!).

Pay special attention to his eating habits looking for signs that might indicate oral pain like reluctance to chew hard food, dropping food, excessive drooling, or pawing or rubbing the face.

When I have a sick patient with normal blood work I usually try the above things and recheck their exam and weight in about a month. If they are still losing weight, I move on to further diagnostics like survey radiographs (X-rays of the whole body) and possibly an abdominal ultrasound.

Unfortunately, sometimes when lab work is coming up blank, it can be indicative of cancer somewhere in the body. There's no one simple test for cancer, so it often shows as a sick pet that we are having a difficult time diagnosing.

Please keep in mind that I'm making an educated guess based on your description and my education and experience. Ultimately the best person to advise you will be the vet who has examined Sabastian most recently.

Please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara