Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 18 year old cat is peeing in my bed and also is throwing

Customer Question

My 18 year old cat is peeing in my bed and also is throwing up
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The proper manner in which to proceed is to have Squeeker's urine checked to see if a simple bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) exists and has predisposed to his inappropriate urination and vomiting. Nausea can be seen in association with a UTI. A broad spectrum antibiotic dosed for a week might suffice to remove the infection. It's best to have his urine rechecked two days after the course of antibiotic is completed to make sure that his urinary tract is, indeed, sterile.

We also have to consider that an 18 year old is forming too much urine secondary to many geriatric disorders but most often secondary to chronic renal insufficiency. Too much urine overfills the bladder to the point that our cats can't retain it and then urinate wherever they are. Causes of overfilling can be determined by performing a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests. It's a cost effective manner in which to have Squeekers's urine checked as mentioned above and also find out how his insides is performing.

Finally, a behavioral problem may have arisen. Inappropriate eliminative behavior can result from medical problems and so those problems need to ruled out first but if a medical problem can't be found (unlikely in an 18 year old), behavioral modification can be attempted. This can be a long drawn out affair involving confining Squeekers to a small area or cage with his box. I'll post my synopsis of this type of marking behavior if you wish but please have a medical etiology for his behavior checked first.