Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I forgot to take care of a friends cat while she was away

Customer Question

I forgot to take care of a friends cat while she was away for a long weekend and they were without water for approximately 36 to 48 hours at the most will they be OK
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did they have no water at all?
Not even left by the owner when she left?
Do you have access to them now?
How are the cats themselves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner left them water I'm assuming that it was about 36 hours since that water would've been gone. They seem fine and they were perfectly all right and not in any big hurry to drink the water when I got there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience (as I was looking into critical water deprivation time frames for you and did need more then 13 seconds to reply),
Now this was a very dangerous situation and we can see dehydration, collapse, and even death with deprivation of water for such a time period. Still, we need to look at these cats to assess the gravity of this situation. If they are active as usual, have moist gums, no signs of sunken eyes, or skin tenting when you lift the skin; then we are very lucky here. So, while this was a seriously dangerous time frame it sounds like these cats had adequate personal reserve to prevent harm this time. But we of course need to be more careful in the future but not assume any long term harm because of this.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.