Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat won't eat or drink and has bloody crust around it's

Customer Question

My cat won't eat or drink and has bloody crust around it's nostril
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did her signs first start?
Any coughing or sneezing?
Is this blood around both nostrils or one?
Have you seen it actively bleed?
Any access to poisons (ie rat bait) or human medication (ie heart meds)?
Does she seem keen to eat and then does not? Or does Toastie have no interest at all?
Has she had any vomiting, gagging, retching, hard swallowing or lip licking?
Did her vets xray her throat?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her signs started abruptly at 3:00 am on Friday morning with 12 cases of vomiting between then and 6:30am. She had been sneezing before that a bit more than usual. One nostril not both and no I have not seen it bleed. It looks runny like thick snot. No access to meds. No poisons. No interest in food at all. She was gagging until the animal hospital gave her anti nausea meds. No throat X-ray. Last I checked her gums were light pink and moist. She does not want to be held or touched much at all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
So, we have an active nasal discharge since the vomiting situation?
Does she sound congested, stuffed up, or wheezy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The discharge only started yesterday afternoon. And wheezy, yes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now based on Toastie's situation, I do suspect we have more then one issue here. Obviously her signs started with profuse GI upset that is now being treated, but with the blood from her nostril, sneezing, the nasal discharge; I have to say that I am concerned that she either has a concurrent respiratory tract infection (which it is not common to see flare ups of cat flu when their immune system is being bombarded by something else at the same time) or a possible aspiration of her vomit into the nasal passage +/- lungs. And in all cases, the nasal bleed was likely due to the force of a sneeze or aspirated stomach acid on her inflamed nasal mucosal lining.
With all the this in mind, I am glad to see that the vet is managing her GI signs. Though if she continues to refuse food/water, we may need to speak to them about stronger alternatives +/- appetite stimulating medication (ie Mertazipine). And if they have not already, if we are seeing snotty discharge, we need to consider antibiotics for her too.
Otherwise, we need to address this congestion. Especially since cats that are congested and cannot smell food won't eat properly. So, we need to be offering smelly foods (wet ones are ideal since they are high in water) and/or warming the foot up to make it easier for her to smell.
Otherwise, to address her congestion, there are some home treatments we can start here. First, I would suggest taking her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make a little ‘steam tent’ with her in her carrier, a humidifier or nebulizer, and a bed sheet over both.
Otherwise, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus you can reach. As well, you can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated) to relieve her congestion. To do so, take one at a time and tilt their head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.
Just to note, if her nausea has been addressed and you found that she still wasn't keen on smelly/warmed foods, you can consider carefully syringe feeding her with an OTC calorically dense critical care diets (ie Hill's A/D, Clinicare, Royal Canin Recovery diet) available from the vets or even wet kitten food. All have more nutrition per bite and can allow you to get more nutrition into her, even if you cannot get a large volume of food in.
Overall, Toastie's signs do not quite fit with her original GI issue but raise concerns of a possible aspiration of vomit into the back of her airway or lungs. As well, we cannot rule out an opportunistic cat flu agent taking advantage of her compromised state. Therefore, I would suggest adding the above into your current care for her. As well, we'd want to consider possible having her vet start antibiotics if this discharge is snotty, cat appetite stimulants +/- a feline friendly anti-inflammatory (as long as the GI signs are settled) to reduce nasal inflammation and irritation to get her breathing better and hopefully eating better for us as well.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for Toastie,
Dr. B.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We found a swelling by her neck and when I took her to the vet this evening she found a fly larvae in her. That's seriously gross. Anyways they gave her mirtazapine for her appetite and it's been four hours and she still hasn't eaten. Should I be concerned seeing as this is the third day she hasn't consumed anything.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Poor Toastie, that's not nice.
It can take a few hours for the medication to get them eating. As well, sometimes a bit of syringe feeding (to remind them that food is important) can help. So, if she hasn't vomited, I'd gently syringe feed some wet kitten food or one of those alternative diets to just get some food in.
All the best,
Dr. B.