Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

A sore came up on my cats head, right below the ear. I put

Customer Question

A sore came up on my cats head, right below the ear. I put peroxide and neosporin on it. Now I notice my other cat has the same sore, in the same place, but on the other side. what could cause this, and is it safe to put peroxide and neosporin the the wound?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in a pet friendly hotel and also have a dog, which seems to be fine..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Can you tell me how deep the wound is?
Do either cat rub, groom, or scratch these sores?
Any discharge or redness in their ears?
Are either shaking their heads?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not deep. It looks like a burn. But it is a knot or boil, but is not draining any puss. They don't scratch, but do groom it when i put peroxide on it. It did boil up with the peroxide, which concerned me.. They eat, play and act normal. No redness inside the ears, and no shaking there heads. It is a tad smaller than a dime.. I took a picture to send to my husband, and I have a mac and trying to figure out how to send it to you. I will keep trying to send a pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I email you a pic?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
That is great and I will keep my eyes peeled for pictures to see what you are seeing here. And again I would note that he can post it to any site and just paste the link here for me to follow. (Email exchanges are not permitted by the website)
In the meantime, we can discuss some supportive care for this type of skin lesion. Now I wouldn't be worried about the peroxide reaction, as all skin is covered in the bacteria. So, we would expect that to occur and we do need to treat the wound to help it heal. Now if they are grooming off anything you use topically, I must warn that we are going to need to use an ecollar (from your local vets or pet store) for each for the short term. This is because cats are their own worst enemy with wounds. The grooming is going to wipe away any good you do but also reinfect the wound with bacteria from their saliva too. So, we need to block their access to this area in a manner that doesn't cover the wound or prevent it from drying out.
Further to that, we'd want to bathe these lesions 2-3 times daily. Peroxide is ok, but I tend to advise the use of a mild antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color) or salt water (1tbsp to a pint warm water). Afterwards, we'd pat the lesions dry and can apply OTC Neosporin. That said, do avoid the one with numbing agents in it, as those are not cat friendly.
Overall, we'd want to use the above supportive care for lesions like those you have described. But again if you can post your photos, I am happy to have a check of them and just make sure there are no other issues and see if we can pinpoint what mischief has led to these since they aren't telling you.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
var/folders/bp/0xc2g77s1hvg2mxwyw0nhnnc0000gq/T/com.apple.Preview/com.apple.Preview.PasteboardItems/getPart_1024.jpg
did this work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that this was the pic...plz advise..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
It does not seem to be a complete link (they usually start with http://). So, if possible, please try again. :)
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. I'm still trying to get used to this mac.. Thanks for you patients
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries at all,
I know technology can be a mixed blessing at times. :)
Dr. B.