Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My kitties chin is all swollen. It was only half the chin

Customer Question

my kitties chin is all swollen. It was only half the chin last night and now it's all across the lower jaw. She doesn't want us to touch her or get too close and she can't eat her soft cat food... she's crying so I know she's hungry and in pain. I have a call in to my vet but, of course, it's saturday and his office is closed.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Would you clarify, please, your kitten's age? It shows as 6 years. In any event, such painful swelling indicates cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) and possible abscessation that often results from a bite wound from another cat. These need to be treated with a systemic antibiotic and even lancing and flushing with an antimicrobial solution if pus has already accumulated under the skin (abscessation). It would be prudent for Barbot to see an on-call vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.