Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 14 year neutered cat has been increasing in frequency and

Customer Question

Hello - My 14 year neutered cat has been increasing in frequency and intensity his grooming the past 48 hours. We are in NM - 1st wet season in years - lots of pollens, insects, etc.; he is outside ~4 hours during daylight hours in grasses; gave him latest (monthly) dose of Fipronil
(Easy spot) 4 days ago; no bare spots/redness, etc on legs/hindquarters/body where grooming and also no evidence of fleas. Does not appear as emergency, so wish to know if o.k. to give OTC antihistamine (if so, need to know which is safest - he has no other health issues nor takes medications) until Monday when I can take him to vet. Many thanks for your help. ***** *****
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Pat. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, thank you for the detailed history. In this case, if we have no visible skin changes in a cat that is showing increased overgrooming frequency (a sign of irritation as opposed to stress), then allergic triggers (ie pollens, etc) are most likely.
In this case, you can treat with an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we will use either Cetirizine (at a standard dose of 5mg for a cat every 24 hours) or Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (using a dose within the range of 0.25-0.5 mg per pound every 12 hours --do be aware this one is bitter and cats can drool when given). So, these would both be options for Tom in this case. Of course, if he is still itchy despite this treatment over the weekend, then we'd want to have a check with his vet on Monday +/- have them dispense a short course of steroids to soothe that itch for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks - off to the vet Monday am but will use recommended antihistamine over weekend. Very appreciative of middle-of-the-night help for my itchy friend. Best regards, Pat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Pat.
That sounds like a perfect plan of action. :) And I am glad that I could help you keep Tom comfortable over this weekend.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)