Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a cat and every now and then (and only in my bed) he

Customer Question

hi I have a cat and every now and then (and only in my bed) he will stand up arch his back,prance his feet and his back twitches and he looks like he is going to excreamate ,but nothing happens whats wrong with him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described "silent marking" in cats. His behavior is identical to that seen in cats who position themselves to mark vertical surfaces with urine but Mavis, thankfully, isn't going so far as to release urine. In his case, he's demonstrating extreme pleasure being in bed with you and "taking possession" of the bed. Should be begin to urine mark, however, you'll have a difficult behavior to manage. I have a lengthy synopsis concerning this type of marking and will post it for you should he begin to urine mark. Please return to this conversation if need be.