Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 9 year old outdoor/indoor cat recently was treated,

Customer Question

Hi My 9 year old outdoor/indoor cat recently was treated for IBD, giving steroid to stop diarrhea, and put on prescription diet HP. He got home from emergency room and started eating fine because of food stimulant injection. I didn't give the med and see how he does. I had tried to give him metronitazole but he throw up next day with brown color liquid, so I completely stop the med. He is still eating fine so far for about 5 days now. however, he is inactive, but so far so good. Is he really having IBD?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. IBD is found relatively commonly in cats with a history of chronic vomiting and/or diarrhea. It's a diagnosis made by scoping and biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract, however. Alternatively, if such a patient responds nicely to either the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole or a corticosteroid such as prednisolone, IBD is assumed - not confirmed. At this point, you can see how he does without any therapy. If symptoms return and can't be explained by conservative testing (blood, urine tests), his abdomen can be ultrasounded which is a very sensitive imaging technique for assessing inflammation in the GI tract caused by IBD (or its sequela small cell lymphoma). If the tell-tale inflammation of IBD is seen, the least frequent dosing of either metronidazole or prednisolone that's effective in controlling his symptoms can be determined by trial and error. You also have the option of scoping and biopsying as mentioned above for a definitive diagnosis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.