Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My kitten in the last couple of weeks s head has developed a

Customer Question

Hi
My kitten in the last couple of weeks his head has developed a slight tilt to one side, he is app 5mth male british kitten
can you help me
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are you seeing any wax, discharge or redness in his ears?
Does he shake or scratch his ears at all?
Any traumas (ie falls, slips, being hit in the head)?
How is Edward otherwise?
Any circling, tremors, seizures, or odd flickering of his eyes (back and forth as if he were watching a tennis game)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr B
there is no discharge or redness from either ears but he does shake his head and has a slight catch with his back foot
I haven't seen him fall and his eye don't flicker. He doesn't want too play and he is not that strong in the back legs and does wine when you feel his back leg muscles
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now since he has those other signs too, can you tell me if they started at the same time? Or are they a newer issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they started about the same time he also sleep alot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
First, if he is tender with his back legs and playing less, I'd be wary of whether he has had a trauma that he's not telling us about. Especially since this could cause all the signs we are seeing. Since if he has also hit his head and sustained a swelling or small bleed in the brain, it could cause the head tilt as well as bruising/soreness elsewhere.
That said, if this has been going on for weeks and there has been no improvement (especially with his back legs), then we have to be concerned about other issues. This is because head tilts can be caused by ear troubles (less likely here), middle ear infections, but also issues in the brain.
Further to traumatic injury, we can see brain based bacterial or viral infections (ie FIP, FIV, FeLV). As well, we do see protozoa (ie Toxoplasma) and even parasitic cysts in the brain cause tilts of the head. And I would note that if any of these were present (and depending where in the brain), they could cause lethargy and affect his use of his back legs (not the muscles per say, but affect the nerve impulses that reach those legs.
So, these would be our concerns with what you are seeing with Edward. Therefore, if this has been lingering for weeks without improvement, I do think a check with his vet would be ideal. If they can rule out those above worries, then he may benefit from a cat safe anti-inflammatory to generally reduce inflammation at all these sites +/- antibiotics or anti-protozoal treatments to address which is present and get him feeling back to normal.
Please take care,
Dr. B.