petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat has been acting progressively strange over the past

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has been acting progressively strange over the past few weeks. He was the most outgoing confident cat (he is almost 1) but he seems to have gone inside himself. He has been hiding away, and growling when my partner goes near him. He pees whilst he's sat on the floor (has never missed the litter tray but he just seems afraid). (He is ok with me but I'm about the only one he is ok with).
He has been desperately trying to get outside and has succeeded most days. Here's the questions I need answering, last week I felt like half a golf ball bump on the back of his head. I took him to the vet and they said that's just the shape of his skull, I know it isn't as it feels so abnormal. They did say he has pain further down on his neck as he started to get uncomfortable with them touching further down, although that seems to have passed now, the lump is now progressively bigger, and yesterday his eyes started to look smaller where his nose is swelling and widening and his eyes look puffy. It's heartbreaking to see him like this I'm just afraid he will die. He looks like someone has punched him in the face. Please help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Oscar today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
Based on the symptoms that you are describing, I would be very concerned that he has developed either a tumor of the brain or spinal tissue. This could explain many of the symptoms you are observing. Of course, tumor would not be the only rule out, but very few things are going to be able to deform that face like that. Tissue inside of the skull can be difficult to visualize, but in his case, due to the deformation you describe, you may be able to get an idea of what may be the cause with xrays. SOme cases, require more advanced imaging, like an MRI, but I would start with an xray to evaluate the skull structures better, including nasal cavity, sinuses and brain.
Unfortunately, even if you are able to confirm a mass, it will not let you know the type of tumor unless you are able to obtain a piece of tissue for histopath analysis. Without that information, prognosis and/or possible treatment options cannot be discussed. If the mass is invading sinuses, it may be possible to obtain a sample via a nasal scope. If not anything else, your vet should be able to offer him medications for pain and that may help to improve some of his symptoms.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, oh no that sounds very disturbing, I will be taking him to the vet first thing. Just to clarify you don't think it could be an insect sting; or an abscess?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Either of those are possibilities as well, but with an insect bite, I would expect it to resolve in a few days, not get worse. Abscesses of the tooth roots can produce mach facial swelling, but left untreated, will often rupture either outwardly or inwardly. He is a fairly young cat which bodes well for not being cancer, but it certainly is suspicious.
Please keep me updated as to how things progress. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.