Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was just diagnosed with lymphoma a few days ago. he

Customer Question

My cat was just diagnosed with lymphoma a few days ago. he is very weak and is not eating and losing muscle . He has had ongoing problems inflammatory bowel disease and kidney disease and is on as well appetite stim, prednisone, anti nausea and several more meds. Before they can treat the cancer with chemo he needs a feeding tube. He is very very weak, and we are at a loss in what to do. His eyes still seem bright. when he looks at you. He also has a ulcer in small intestine. What do we do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
I am so sorry to hear about your lad.
It does sound like he is fighting a lot at the moment.
In regards ***** ***** to do, if he cannot eat properly, then the feeding tube is needed before he can get any weaker here. And while there is risk with the anesthesia, it is one we need to take since he cannot go on as he is just now. And I would note that his vets will be very aware of how delicate he is and do everything they can to ensure that the procedure is done with great care to make it as safe as possible for him. As well, they will surely place the tube as quickly as they can to avoid that being a long anesthesia. So, it is a risk, but they will do what they can to make it as small as possible. And we have to appreciate that in his state, the benefits of the tube do outweigh that risk for him.
Otherwise, I am glad that you are planning to have a meeting with his oncologist. They can advise you on his overall long term potential prognosis based on the type of lymphoma he has (B or T cell; but also how rapidly it is growing). And I do think that meeting is key here, especially if there is a deep intestinal ulcer present. This is because you will want to have them outline whether chemo can address this or if he may need surgery down the line to remove that section of cancerous tissue (and with it remove the risk of perforation hanging over his head).
Overall, it sounds like you are doing all you can for your lad. And the treatments ahead do sound appropriate here. Of course, over all of this, you also need to look at your lad. If he is still fighting alongside you against this cancer and is trying to do those things that make his kitty life worth living, then we do need to take these next steps. But if he isn't, if he is withdrawing, or if he is seeming to struggle in a body that is letting him down, then we may also have to consider what he would want us to do; whether he wants to be poked and prodded; or whether he just wants us to let him go peacefully at this stage.
Please take care,
Dr. B.