Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has cold in s eye what can I give m to take it away?

Customer Question

My cat has cold in his eye what can I give him to take it away?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has Yeager had this issue?
What color is the discharge?
Does the eye look cloudy or hazy at all?
Any coughing, sneezing or nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2weeks hazy no discharge no coughing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing else
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Both eyes are hazy?
Is it a haze on the clear cover of the eye (cornea) or deeper in the eye?
Is it bothering him at all?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cornea is hazy he keeps shutting his eye and I cant take picture
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that based on your history and the time frame, this doesn't sound like a simple case of cold. Instead, corneal haze is a sign of eye inflammation. This tells us that the eye has either sustained a trauma on the outside, is being irritated by an allergy, or could also be associated with a chronic flu infection (ie feline herpes) or an internal eye infection. And I have to note that if he is squinting or keeping the eyes closed often, this can be a sign of the eyes being uncomfortable for him.
Therefore, in this case you need to tread with care, as eyes are very delicate. Therefore, if you want to rule out irritation, I would note that you can flush the eyes a few times daily with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). Afterwards, while we cannot use any medicated drops (avoid any that say they get the "red" out), you can soothe the eyes by administering artificial tears (ie Viscotears Lacrilube, etc).
Otherwise, you can also try to rule out allergies, you can trial him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Overall, this doesn't sound like just cold with Yeager. Therefore, we would to try the above to soothe as much as we can. But if this lingers, then we'd need to consider having his eyes checked by his vet to rule out any damage and these other infectious concerns to ensure they don't cause the eyes any harm and that we address this for him properly.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.