Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an older cat 15 years plus.He is all and big blue

Customer Question

I have an older cat 15 years plus.He is all white and big blue eyes.Yes he is deaf. I have 2 of them. Well he will be sleeping all at once he will jump up and run from one end of the house and back Than look around like some one just hit him really strange.all most like he is really surprised. Could there be something wrong . He throws up unchewed food theeth ok.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sonar. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Did the vomiting, and this waking up suddenly to run around the house start at the same time or at separate times?
Any other changes, such as drinking more water, hiding, change in appetite?
This is an Info Request. Since I cannot see and examine him, the more information I have the better I can help with Sonar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is vomiting more often,Drinking more water,He also sleeps alot, I know cats do a lot of sleeping but he has changed.No change in appetite that I can tell THANK YOU👀
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Did the increase in vomiting happen about the same time as the running around the house after suddenly waking up?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If the vomiting and the running around started about the same time, they may be related. He may have a sudden attack of nausea or internal pain when he is sleeping.
If he were mine, I would start by trying to find the reason for the vomiting, but there are dozens or reasons that cats vomit.
You could start with something simple like giving him 1/4th of a 10 mg Pepcid AC or famotidine at bedtime. That might suppress stomach acid, nausea and vomiting, and see if he sleeps more normally. If he does, then the problem is the vomiting, and the treatment might be diet change, testing for inflammatory bowel disease, checking for liver or kidney or heart problems.
If the Pepcid seems to make no difference, then the nighttime running may be unrelated to his vomiting. You could try giving him 1/2 of a baby aspirin twice weekly for arthritis pain and see if that helps. No other over the counter medication is safe in cats, tylenol is especially poisonous to cats. If you try it, do not give more than 1/2 baby aspirin twice a week.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca