Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My kitten seems to be a lethargic. Over the weekend, I went

Customer Question

My kitten seems to be a lethargic. Over the weekend, I went away, I had a cat sitter come over and feed them mid day on Saturday. I returned home on Sunday and noticed that they had managed to lock themselves in my bedroom. Based on the lack of litter/food activity, I'm guessing they were in there for over 24 hours. One kitten was fine, but the other wouldn't eat. I put water in a syringe, and then some soft food but she started shaking. So I took her to the ER. She had a 105 temp, and they gave her an IV of fluids. They did blood work - which was fine. She refused to eat again, so I took her back to the vet. He force fed her and felt her abdomen and said it was soft and didn't think she had ingested anything. Her fever was high but had gone down. She has used the bathroom. She has not vomited. She ate a little this morning but I had to syringe water into her. She is still only sleeping, and is very different from the energetic and playful kitten she was on Friday.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

It sounds like your kitten has a viral infection. These are commonly the cause of fever and lethargy. They will typically run their course over 5-7 days. The fever can be intermittent, leading to lethargy and decreased appetite. I usually treat with fluids, antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory med. The fluids help with hydration. The antibiotics help in case there is a secondary bacterial infection. The anti-inflammatory (Metacam usually) helps to bring the temp down. Once the fever breaks, they start acting much more normal.

Keep trying to get fluids into her. I would also try to discuss antibiotics or anti-inflammatory meds with your vet to see if that helps.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?