Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat gave birth to 8 healthy kittens. Got pregnant again

Customer Question

My cat gave birth to 8 healthy kittens. Got pregnant again shortly after birth. Also nursed right up til the kittens where 3-4 months. Today she gave birth to one kitten at 10:00 am. And hasn't had any more since. She's eating drinking and feeding the kitten. Seems to be in good spirt. Is this normal. Is the one kitten the only one shell Have she still looks big. Is it due to having them so .close. If there's dead kittens will she still give birth to them or is it normal for her to only have had one
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lil Bit. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
It does happen that a cat has only one kitten. I have also seen a cat have one kitten, and then a day later have two more.
If there are dead kittens still inside, they might be born, but they could be retained and that will be a problem. When dead kittens start to decompose inside the mother, it will make her sick and if the dead ones are not removed surgically she could die. Fortunately this is rare.
If you are worried, you can have an Xray taken. That is the only way to know for sure if there are more kittens. If there are more, an injection might help to get her to have contractions and pass them. However, if that does not work, she would need a C section.
Let me know if I can help with answer anything else and how she is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well she's had two more last night. All kittens are healthy feeding and mother still doing well. What's the longest time before I should be concerned. Is this normal or could u explain why it's happening like this have had many cats that have given birth but never seen it go like this. Plus her first litter went very smooth is there any warning signs I should be cautious of or anything I should keep a loo out fo Anything u can say to help me understand or help. Me be aware if things I may not be aware of
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as far as possibility of dead kittens inside what's the chance shell give birth to them. All seam healthy so shouldn't others be to. Just concerned it's taking do long and they're so spread out
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It is not all that rare for a cat to have one kitten and then the rest of the litter a day later.
If there are dead kittens inside her still, I would say it is more likely she will pass them than not, but no guarantee. If you are worried, an Xray will tell you if there are more kittens or not.
The main thing to watch for is her behavior. If she is eating and drinking and caring for the kittens, then she is probably not in any trouble. If she ignores her kittens, won't eat, or has contractions for more than 45 minutes without having a kitten, she may need help.
It is good that she is doing so well. The only way I know to be sure that all the kittens are born is an Xray or ultrasound. If she stops eating or has contractions but no kitten, I would have her checked.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so much for you support and suggestions. You''ve been very helpful. I greatly appreciate all your help will update u later. can. Would love to send a pic of litter when she's completed. Not sure how I'd do that though.. Again thank you so very much for your help
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can always post a picture here, or get back to me with updates and questions.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated) so the website knows I helped you. I hope she and her kittens continue to do well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well she ended up having 3 and two stubborn one with no hair and one with the head upside down chin on top by back and ears bellow by belly. What would cause that so weird never seen That before. Have any input thank u
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Odd things like this just happen ( two headed calf, cat with 5 legs, children that are "Siamese twins"); we don't know why things go wrong during the development of a baby.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?