Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I just started using Astros CKD oil, but didn't refrigerate

Customer Question

I just started using Astros CKD oil, but didn't refrigerate it the first day after I opened it. Do you think it is still safe to use for my cat? It was out of the refrigerator for only about 1 day.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
There shouldn't be a problem continuing to dose this oil. It's essentially fish oil preserved with vitamin E - an antioxidant. It didn't become rancid outside the refrigerator in 24 hours. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Dr. Salkin.I've started using the fish oil once a day. It does have a yellow color, which I don't believe it had when I first opened the bottle. I'm wondering if I didn't properly shake it the first time I used it.
I just want to make sure that it didn't go rancid when it wasn't refrigerated.I did notice that the fish oil has a very strong smell and it persists. I've even noticed the smell on my cat after administering.I think the main concern I have with the oil, is I don't want to further complicate the challenge of getting my CRF cat to eat. So if you have any thoughts of how I can make sure it doesn't complicate things. Maybe make sure to apply the oil after he eats? I've already tried putting it with the food, but he won't eat the food if that oil is on it.Thank you,
Tony

Tony, I need to be quite frank with you. In spite of the testimonials you might read on the Atros site, there are no scholarly studies that confirm efficacy of fish oil when addressing CRF in cats. "Certain types of fats (polyunsaturated omega 6 fatty acids) may slow the decline in kidney function are often present in kidney diets." is the kind of statement you'll find in the literature - hardly a scholarly comment. The best I can tell you is that the oil shouldn't be harmful unless it truly did put her off her food - the last thing we want to see in a cat suffering from renal insufficiency. Yes, fish oil - unless highly refined and denatured - quite frankly stinks. The color change is normal and doesn't indicate rancidity. The vitamin E acts as a preservative in any event. Please continue our conversation if you wish.