Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat is pregnant and had Her first baby at 4:00 pm. It's

Customer Question

My cat is pregnant and had Her first baby at 4:00 pm. It's 8:21 now and hasn't had one since. Should I be worried?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is your cat actively straining like she is trying to push out a kitten or is she just acting completely normal (other than the pregnancy)?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Completely normal. She's actually playing with my male cat through the door. She's having contractions, but acting completely normal.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Roughly how often is she having contractions? Is she stopping what she is doing to have these contractions or are you just seeing her belly tense?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just seeing her belly tense. It's been in the range of 5-7 minutes apart.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information, this is nerve racking for you but completely normal for her! Cats can go a full 24 hours between kittens and it can be perfectly normal! What is not normal is if she were straining (stopping and putting her full body into her contractions) for more than 1 hour without a kitten or if you see part of a kitten or the placenta and no kitten in 15 min. However what you are describing is not abnormal, just strange!

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan